America's Next Top Model: Tyra Banks Talks About Her Personal Life

The theme song for America's Next Top Model has creator and host Tyra Banks purring “Wanna be on top?” She's made it there, but she's saying that it is in fact, as the cliché indicates, quite lonely to be at the pinnacle of success.

She's been working at a fevered pace for several years, turning America's Next Top Model into a reality TV powerhouse, and growing her daily talk show. She admits, though, that her success has definitely cost her some peace in her personal life.

She talked to Essence magazine about her current life, saying "I'd go to work and women would be crying in my arms on the talk show. But then I'd go home and put my key in my door and ... nothing: no friends, no husband, no children. I feel so full when I'm at work but so empty when I come home."

She's talked recently about wanting to adopt, but admits she's lost sight of that goal over recent years, saying, "After the talk show started, and I had [Americas Next] Top Model at the same time, it engulfed me so much that it dulled my maternal instinct…I hope that when I get more of a handle on my life it comes back."
Although she might talk of loneliness, Tyra has been romantically linked to investment banker John Utendahl, age 50, but it would appear she's not at a place where her relationships would take precedence over her career. In response to the speculation that she moved to New York from Los Angeles in order to pursue her relationship, she responded, "I'm very insulted by that rumor. I employ a lot of people; their livelihoods rest on my shows. The move to New York was a decision I made with my manager. It was not about a man."